The Adélie Linux Release Engineering Team is pleased to announce the immediate release of the second snapshot of Adélie Linux 1.0-BETA1 for the 32-bit and 64-bit PowerPC, 32-bit and 64-bit x86, and 64-bit ARM platforms. Learn more about Adélie Linux on our Web site.
Note: This is not the release of 1.0-BETA1. The release of 1.0-BETA1 is still scheduled for early September and will bring further improvements, including an installation system and more compliance with the POSIX® standard.
Please note: This is an early test release of Adélie Linux. While every care has been taken to ensure the stability of the system, features and packages may be missing or may not function correctly. You should always back up your computer's data before you install a new Linux distribution. This release is being actively tested on multiple platforms. It is highly recommended that you use a dedicated computer or virtual machine to learn the environment until you are comfortable with using the Adélie Linux system and its package manager, apk.
- The Adélie Base System (adelie-base) no longer ships with Perl or vim included by default. Both of these are included in the Adélie Base POSIX System (adelie-base-posix), and are still available on the live CD.
- GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG, GPG) is now built with smart card and USB support.
ARMv7Support for ARMv7 is offered on a limited testing basis only, and ARMv7 remains a Tier 2 architecture. Currently, no binary packages are available for 1.0-BETA1 snapshot.
64-bit ARM (AArch64)No architecture-specific release notes.
PowerPC (32-bit)No architecture-specific release notes.
- The live CD now ships with
bootinfo.txtin the place where SLOF (IBM OpenFirmware) expects it to be. This should allow automatic booting on most CHRP compatible IBM servers, including QEMU/KVM.
- POWER8 systems will now be able to load modules on the Live CD. The POWER8 specific kernel is now built separately from Easy Kernel, allowing both kernels to coexist on the same live media.
Intel x86 (all)
- The syslinux bootloader has been removed, in favour of the GRUB 2 bootloader.
- All live CDs should now support EFI boot. If you encounter any issues with EFI booting on the live CD, please file an issue.
Adélie PackagesThere were 1,098 commits to packages.git between 1.0-ALPHA7 and this snapshot (86 since the last snapshot), by nine developers:
- A. Wilcox (998)
- Kiyoshi Aman (31)
- Dan Theisen (29)
- Max Rees (15)
- Horst G. Burkhardt (2)
- William Pitcock (2)
- Marek Benc (1)
- Samuel Holland (1)
- Seamus Caveney (1)
- We welcome back Elizabeth Myers (Elizafox@), who is hard at work on a new installer framework for Adélie Linux.
- Zach van Rijn has kindly donated a mirror server located in Pennsylvania, US.