The Adélie Linux Release Engineering Team is pleased to announce the immediate release of a snapshot of Adélie Linux 1.0-BETA1 for the 32-bit and 64-bit PowerPC, 32-bit and 64-bit x86, and 64-bit ARM platforms. Learn more about Adélie Linux on our Web site.
This release is based on 1.0-ALPHA7, but has been fully audited. It includes many enhancements, new packages, and bug fixes and is based on the latest and most stable, secure software. All package license fields have been professionally audited and corrected wherever they were wrong. In addition, this marks our first independent release; we are no longer a soft-fork of Alpine. This offers us many degrees of freedom.
Note: This is not the release of 1.0-BETA1. The release of 1.0-BETA1 is still scheduled for early September and will bring further improvements, including an installation system and more compliance with the POSIX® standard.
Please note: This is an early test release of Adélie Linux. While every care has been taken to ensure the stability of the system, features and packages may be missing or may not function correctly. You should always back up your computer's data before you install a new Linux distribution. This release is being actively tested on multiple platforms. It is highly recommended that you use a dedicated computer or virtual machine to learn the environment until you are comfortable with using the Adélie Linux system and its package manager, apk.
- Easy Kernel has been updated to 4.14.56-mc9.
- GNU gettext has been replaced with gettext-tiny. This also means that all packages that support .po files now have -lang subpackages so that they may be used in any translation they support. We are very proud to include better native language support, and we hope that this allows us to reach more people that are not comfortable using computers in English.
- KDE Frameworks have been updated to 5.48.0, and KDE Applications have been updated from 18.04.1 to 18.04.3.
- SPDX license identifiers are now used for every package in the distribution.
- Thunderbird is now available on all Tier 1 architectures.
ARMv7Support for ARMv7 is offered on a limited testing basis only, and ARMv7 remains a Tier 2 architecture. Currently, no binary packages are available for 1.0-BETA1 snapshot.
64-bit ARM (AArch64)Since the number of test failures is now below the threshold of five packages, 64-bit ARM is now officially a Tier 1 release architecture for Adélie. All packages are officially available and supported for 64-bit ARM.
- FFmpeg is now compiled with AltiVec support, and will use it on any PowerPC computer that supports it, bringing large performance improvements. You may still use FFmpeg on computers without AltiVec.
PowerPC (32-bit)No architecture-specific release notes.
- VLC chroma support has been fixed for 64-bit big endian targets, including PowerPC.
Intel x86 (all)
- The syslinux bootloader has been removed, in favour of the GRUB 2 bootloader.
- All live CDs should now support EFI boot. If you encounter any issues with EFI booting on the live CD, please file an issue.
Adélie PackagesThere were 1,012 commits to packages.git between 1.0-ALPHA7 and this snapshot, by seven developers:
- A. Wilcox (953)
- Dan Theisen (29)
- Kiyoshi Aman (17)
- Max Rees (8)
- Horst G. Burkhardt (2)
- William Pitcock (2)
- Marek Benc (1)
- We welcome back Elizabeth Myers (Elizafox@), who is hard at work on a new installer framework for Adélie Linux.
- Zach van Rijn has kindly donated a mirror server located in Pennsylvania, US.